Woman Dies After Drinking Herbal Tea From SF Chinatown Store – NBC 7 San Diego

A woman who fell sick after drinking poisonous herbal tea from a store in San Francisco’s Chinatown has died.

Two San Francisco residents — a man in his 50s last month and a woman in her 30s this month — fell critically ill and was hospitalized after consuming herbal tea from the same Chinatown herbalist in San Francisco.

“Each quickly developed weakness, and then life-threatening abnormal heart rhythms, requiring resuscitation and intensive hospital care,” San Francisco Department of Public Health officials said.

The man recovered and was released from the hospital on March 12. The woman remained critically ill and died in the hospital on March 18.

The tea leaves bought at Sun Wing Wo Trading Company, at 1105 Grant Avenue, contained the plant-based toxin Aconite, the San Francisco Department of Public Health said.

“Both patients developed symptoms about an hour after consuming the tea,” said Dr. Tomas Aragon, health officer for the city and county of San Francisco.

The two patients each purchased different blends of medicinal teas that were put together for them at the shop. The teas had several ingredients, and the ingredients that were common to both tea mixtures are currently being tested.

“The tea leaves were provided in a plastic bag,” which was not labeled, according to Aragon.

Aconite, also known as monkshood, helmet flower and wolfsbane, is used in Asian herbal medicines. But it must be processed properly to be safe.

“This Aconite poisoning which can come from Chinese herbal teas if not processed correctly it can affect the heart. It can give them neuological symptoms like tingling it can also give you nausea and vomiting,” Aragon said.

Health officials are working to find the original source of the tea leaves, and they are warning others to stop consuming it. For now, all the tea’s ingredients have been removed from the store’s shelves.

“Anyone who has purchased tea from this location should not consume it and should throw it away immediately,” Aragon said. “Aconite poisoning attacks the heart and can be lethal.”

There is no indication that the people were poisoned intentionally, according to officials. 

Woman Dies After Drinking Herbal Tea From SF Chinatown Store – NBC 7 San Diego

Leave a Reply

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google

    Photo Gallery

    @2012 Designed By Quick News Update