News That Matters

World

At least 235 killed in 'horrific' attack at Egypt mosque

At least 235 killed in 'horrific' attack at Egypt mosque

World
At least 235 people were killed and 130 more injured in an attack at a mosque during Friday prayers in northern Sinai in Egypt, according to Egyptian state news agency MENA. A Sinai-based reporter told ABC News that the casualties included children and elders. An eyewitness described the perpetrators as having stationed themselves at the mosque's three exits and deliberately attacking those who tried to escape the building, as well as passing vehicles, after first shooting some who were "kneeling in prayer." "The sight was horrific," the witness, Ibrahim Shetewy, told ABC News in Arabic, adding, "We carried whoever we found alive and took them in pickups and private cars until more ambulances could come and help." Shetewy described the mosque in question as one frequented by travelers...
Egypt attack: Gunmen kill 235 in Sinai mosque

Egypt attack: Gunmen kill 235 in Sinai mosque

World
Militants have launched a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province, killing 235 people, state media say. The al-Rawda mosque in the town of Bir al-Abed was targeted during Friday prayers. It is the deadliest attack of its kind since an Islamist insurgency in the peninsula was stepped up in 2013.Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi vowed to respond with "brute force" after talks with security officials.No group has yet claimed the attack, but militants affiliated with so-called Islamic State (IS) have been responsible for scores of deadly attacks in the province.They usually target security forces and Christian churches, and the bloody attack on a mosque associated with Sufi Muslims has shocked Egypt.What happened?Witnesses said dozens of gunmen arrived in off-road...
The huge challenges facing Zimbabwe's next leader

The huge challenges facing Zimbabwe's next leader

World
To get under the skin of the problems facing the incoming Zimbabwean president, you need to get out of the big cities and into rural areas where the bulk of the population live.Many eke out an existence in this economically crippled nation. People like Olivia Mshunga, who lives as the youngest of three generations on a small piece of land in Domboshava.Planting ground nuts in the sandy soil, she wants President-designate Emmerson Mnangagwa to lift her out of subsistence farming.She says: "We are struggling for a long time, no money, no jobs in Zimbabwe, so we want to change our life."Video:Mnangagwa promises 'new democracy'Her next door neighbour Viola Shamuyarira has similar hopes, while Ms Shamuyarira's 18-year-old daughter Yardley just wants a better wheelchair so she can get a job as a...
Iran's navy: Warships to be deployed to Gulf of Mexico

Iran's navy: Warships to be deployed to Gulf of Mexico

World
Nov. 23 (UPI) -- Iran's new naval commander vowed to send a warship to the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, a move that could raise concerns in Washington.Rear Adm. Hossein Khanzadi said he plans to deploy vessels to areas outside the Middle East, and that the warships will visit Latin America, NBC News reported Thursday.Iran's military plans to "wave the flag of our country in the Gulf of Mexico," Khanzadi said."Our fleet of warships will be sent to the Atlantic Ocean in the near future and will visit one of the friendly states in South America and the Gulf of Mexico," he said, according to Iran's Fars news agency."The appearance of our vessels in the Mediterranean and Suez Canal shocked the world and the U.S. also made comments on it," the Iranian commander added.Plans to send ship...
Argentina reports new clue in search for missing submarine

Argentina reports new clue in search for missing submarine

World
Ships and planes hunting for a missing Argentine submarine with 44 crew members will return to a previously search area after officials said Wednesday that a noise made a week ago in the South Atlantic could provide a clue to the vessel's location. The Argentina navy spokesman, Capt. Enrique Balbi, said the "hydro-acoustic anomaly" was determined by the United States and specialist agencies to have been produced Nov. 15, just hours after the final contact with the ARA San Juan and could have come from the sub. The sound originated about 30 miles north of the submarine's last registered position, he said. "It's a noise. We don't want to speculate" about what caused it, Balbi said. He said Argentine navy ships as well as a U.S. P-8 Poseidon aircraft and a Brazilian air force plane would ret...