News That Matters

Tag: Chief

Patrick Shanahan: Trump says his choice for Pentagon chief is out

Patrick Shanahan: Trump says his choice for Pentagon chief is out

World
US President Donald Trump has announced his choice for defence secretary has withdrawn, shaking up the Pentagon at a time of rising Middle East tensions.He tweeted that Patrick Shanahan has pulled out of consideration "so that he can devote more time to his family".Mr Shanahan, who will be replaced by Army Secretary Mark Esper, had not yet been nominated for the cabinet post. It comes as Mr Shanahan publicly addressed allegations of domestic violence.Mr Trump told reporters Mr Shanahan submitted his withdrawal on Tuesday morning."I didn't ask him to withdraw, but he walked in this morning and said it was going to be a rough time for him," Mr Trump said, adding that he first heard of the "unfortunate" allegations on Monday.Earlier on Tuesday, USA Today rep...
MJ Gleeson chief quits amid row over £3m pay deal

MJ Gleeson chief quits amid row over £3m pay deal

Business
By Mark Kleinman, City editor The chief executive of MJ Gleeson, the FTSE-250 housebuilder, is to step down amid a boardroom ‎row over his pay package.Sky News has learnt that Jolyon Harrison is to step down after seven years at the helm of the company, despite its strong recent performance. A person close to the situation said on Sunday evening that Mr Harrison and boardroom colleagues had been "unable to agree a way forward" on his remuneration.The MJ Gleeson chief executive was paid almost £3m last year, a sizeable package for a company with a market value at the close of trading on Friday of £483.6m.In 2017, he received a total of £2.8m, with last year's annual report highlighting that he has been paid about £12m since taking over as chief executiv
Iranian threats ‘put on hold’, says US defence chief

Iranian threats ‘put on hold’, says US defence chief

World
The potential of attacks by Iran has been "put on hold" by US counter-measures, acting Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan has said.The US has warned of a threat from Iran in recent weeks and Mr Shanahan briefed lawmakers at a closed-doors meeting.Tension has risen sharply, with the US deploying military assets to the Gulf to tackle the unspecified threats.On Sunday, President Donald Trump tweeted: "If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran."He has maintained a strong anti-Iran policy since taking office and last year unilaterally withdrew the US from a nuclear deal with Iran and five world powers. US-Iran tensions explained Why the WhatsApp spies may have eyes on Iran President Trump's National Security Advise...
Boeing safety system not at fault, says chief executive

Boeing safety system not at fault, says chief executive

Business
Boeing's boss has refused to admit that a system introduced in its 737 Max 8 aircraft was flawed following two fatal plane crashes. Appearing in front of investors and the media, Dennis Muilenburg maintained the system was only one factor in a chain of events that led to the disasters.But new reports have raised fresh questions about the plane's safety. It has emerged that whistleblowers connected to Boeing contacted the US airline regulator about the system.Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal revealed that Boeing failed to activate a safety feature linked to sensors on 737 Max planes bought by its biggest customer, Southwest Airlines.The 737 Max is grounded worldwide after an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed near Addis Ababa in ...
Terra Firma chief leaves after Hands bust-up

Terra Firma chief leaves after Hands bust-up

Business
By Mark Kleinman, City editor The chief executive of Terra Firma Capital Partners, the buyout firm best known for its ill-fated ownership of the EMI record label, has stepped down after falling out with its billionaire founder.Sky News has learnt that Andrew Geczy, who joined the private equity group in 2016, left on Thursday, according to a memo circulated to Terra Firma's investors. ‎Guy Hands, the firm's founder and figurehead, told its backers that "effective immediately, Andrew Geczy is no longer working at Terra Firma"."While I‎ cannot give you further details on his departure at this time, the senior leadership team and I are working to ensure that the day-to-day running of the firm continues without interruption and that we move forward with our busine