Monday, January 24News That Matters
Shadow

Tag: Christchurch

‘The devil arrived’: Christchurch mosque massacre sentencing continues

‘The devil arrived’: Christchurch mosque massacre sentencing continues

World
A New Zealand court has heard more harrowing stories of survival and loss from the Christchurch terror attacks. It's the second day of a hearing to sentence mass murderer Brenton Tarrant. The 29-year-old Australian admits shooting men, women and children while they prayed at two city mosques last year, killing 51 people.Tarrant has also pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of a further 40 worshippers, and a charge of terrorism. He's representing himself in court, flanked by heavy security.[embedded content] Mohammad Siddiqui was shot in the arm at Al Noor mosque, leaving him injured in hospital for eight days. He told the court he was only there a few minutes before "the devil arrived". ...
Christchurch shooting: Gunman Tarrant wanted to kill ‘as many as possible’

Christchurch shooting: Gunman Tarrant wanted to kill ‘as many as possible’

World
Media playback is unsupported on your device The man who killed 51 people at two mosques in New Zealand in 2019 had plans to target a third mosque, his sentencing hearing has heard.Brenton Tarrant also planned to burn down the mosques, wanting to "inflict as many fatalities as possible". The Australian has pleaded guilty to 51 counts of murder, 40 attempted murders and one charge of terrorism.Tarrant, 29, faces life in prison, possibly without parole - a sentence never before imposed in New Zealand.He was confronted by survivors and relatives of the victims in court on Monday."You gave yourself the authority to take the souls of 51 innocent people, their only crime - in your eyes - being Muslims," said Maysoon Salama, whose son Atta Elayyan wa...
New Zealand creates armed police units in response to Christchurch mosque attacks

New Zealand creates armed police units in response to Christchurch mosque attacks

World
Oct. 18 (UPI) -- New Zealand's national police force announced Friday a pilot program to create "armed response teams" that are designed to minimize public threats -- a response to two mosque attacks in Christchurch last spring. Commissioner Mike Bush said the squads will have "enhanced tactical capabilities" and support regular police units in high-risk conflicts. They will be on 24-hour call for a trial period of six months. New Zealand police officers are not armed while on general duty, but store weapons in their vehicles in case of emergency. Because normal officers must seek permission to use the weapons, the new units offer a quicker response in threatening situations, Bush said. "The [NZP] mission is that New Zealand is the safest country," he added." Following the events of Marc...
US says it will not join Christchurch Call against online terror

US says it will not join Christchurch Call against online terror

World
The US has declined to join an international initiative aimed at tackling the spread of terror online.The White House said on Wednesday it supported the Christchurch Call's aims but was "not in a position to join", citing the need for freedom of speech.The comments came as five of the world's biggest tech companies pledged to tackle extremist material.The Christchurch Call was launched in response to a deadly terror attack that was live streamed on Facebook.The March attack launched by a lone gunman on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch left 51 people dead.What is the Christchurch Call? The Christchurch Call is a voluntary commitment by governments and tech companies to improve their efforts to tackle extremist c...
Explosive device, ammunition found on Christchurch property

Explosive device, ammunition found on Christchurch property

World
April 30 (UPI) -- A suspected explosive device was found in Christchurch Tuesday, almost two months after a terrorist attack in the New Zealand city claimed some 50 lives. Canterbury District Police Commander Superintendent John Price said a "package containing a suspected explosive device" as well as ammunition were found at a vacant address in the city. The police bomb disposal team arrived at the scene on Newcastle Street and the device was rendered safe, Price said in the statement. A 33-year-old Christchurch man was arrested in connection to the incident. Police were called to the empty lot at about 3:15 p.m. after receiving a report of a suspicious package, Stuff reported. In response, police, the Defense Force, fire and emergency responders all rushed the around near the reported ...