News That Matters

Tag: former

Former Chelsea striker Diego Costa scores just minutes into second debut for Atletico Madrid

Former Chelsea striker Diego Costa scores just minutes into second debut for Atletico Madrid

Sports
Thursday, January 4, 2018Diego Costa made his long-awaited Atletico Madrid return on Wednesday night - and wasted no time in getting back among the goals.The striker agreed a deal to re-join the Spanish giants from Chelsea in September but Atletico's transfer ban meant he was prevented from making his second debut until January.Costa was named as a substitute for Atleti's first game of 2018, their Copa Del Rey clash away to third tier side Lleida Esportiu.He received a rapturous welcome from the visiting fans when he was introduced in the second half.And, despite four months without a game, Costa took just five minutes to find the net, tapping home a cross from Juanfran.The Spaniard then sustained an injury but finished the game, which ended in a 4-0 win for Atleti.Let's block ads! (W...
Brad Kaaya: Indianapolis Colts sign former Miami Hurricanes QB off Detroit Lions practice squad

Brad Kaaya: Indianapolis Colts sign former Miami Hurricanes QB off Detroit Lions practice squad

Sports
Dec. 27 (UPI) -- The Indianapolis Colts have signed quarterback Brad Kaaya to the 53-man active roster.Indianapolis also signed defensive tackle Johnathan Calvin to the practice squad and placed cornerback Rashaan Melvin on injured reserve.The Colts announced the moves on Wednesday.Kaaya, 22, was a sixth round pick by the Detroit Lions in the 2017 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4, 325-pound quarterback participated in the Lions' 2017 offseason program and training camp but was waived on Sept. 2. The Carolina Panthers claimed Kaaya off waivers the next day. He spent the last nine weeks on the Lions' practice squad and spent the first six weeks of the season on the Panthers' active roster. Kaaya was on the Lions' active roster in Week 7. He has never appeared in a regular season game.The former Miami...
Former Bosnian fighter Azra Basic jailed 14 years for war crimes

Former Bosnian fighter Azra Basic jailed 14 years for war crimes

World
Dec. 27 (UPI) -- A court in Bosnia sentenced a former female fighter known as the "mistress of life and death" to 14 years in prison for war crimes on Wednesday.Azra Basic was handed the sentence after being found guilty of taking part in the killings, torture and inhumane treatment of Serb civilians and prisoners of war during the Balkan war in 1992.The court determined Basic murdered a restrained prisoner named Blagoja Djuras at the Yugoslav People's Army Hall in Derventa, by stabbing him in the neck.It was also found she ordered prisoners to remove their shoes and clothing, eat money, walk barefoot on glass and lick blood off Djuras's dead body.The sentence handed to the 58-year-old Basic is the most severe given to a woman for atrocities committed during the Bosnian conflict.During the...
Researchers: CTE was detected in living former NFL player

Researchers: CTE was detected in living former NFL player

Health
Nov. 16 (UPI) -- For the first time, research has confirmed that scientists successfully detected chronic traumatic encephalopathy -- known commonly as CTE -- in a living former professional football player.Scientists detected signs of the dementia-like disease in former player Fred McNeill four years ago, but it's not possible to confirm CTE until after a patient's death. McNeill died in 2015, and confirmation he had the disease was made last week in the journal Neurosurgery, scientists said Wednesday."The importance of this one today is that this is the first time to have a scan which shows brain degeneration of CTE in a living person and then to have that person die and it correlates with the autopsy," Dr. Julian Bailes, a neurosurgeon at NorthShore University in Illinois, said.Research...
Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini rules out becoming Italy's next manager

Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini rules out becoming Italy's next manager

Sports
Roberto Mancini Friday, November 17, 2017Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has no plans to become the new manager of Italy.The Azzurri are on the hunt for a new head coach after sacking Giampiero Ventura following their failure to qualify for next summer's World Cup in Russia.Mancini has been linked with taking over, while the likes of Antonio Conte and Carlo Ancelotti have been touted as viable replacements too.But Mancini has now revealed he is happy at Zenit St Petersburg and looking to succeed with them."I am not surprised my name has been mentioned on the list, seeing as they also discussed colleagues with experience who won in various different countries," Mancini told Russia TV channel Match TV."But I am happy at Zenit and in St Petersburg, so I am not thinking about the N...