Saturday, October 23News That Matters
Shadow

Tag: mosque

Court ruling cuts sentence for Quebec mosque shooter

Court ruling cuts sentence for Quebec mosque shooter

World
Quebec’s highest court has declared consecutive life sentences to be unconstitutional, reducing the sentence given to the man who murdered six people in a Quebec City mosque in 2017ByThe Associated PressNovember 26, 2020, 8:31 PM• 2 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleQUEBEC CITY -- Quebec’s highest court has declared consecutive life sentences to be unconstitutional, reducing the sentence given to the man who murdered six people in a Quebec City mosque in 2017.Alexandre Bissonnette, 30, was sentenced in February 2019 to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 40 years.Thursday's decision by the Quebec Court of Appeal means he will be eligible to apply for parole after serving 25 years, though it doesn't guarantee parole would be granted.In sentencing Bisson...
Austria closes mosque, Islamic center linked to Vienna attacker

Austria closes mosque, Islamic center linked to Vienna attacker

World
Nov. 6 (UPI) -- Austrian authorities on Friday said they shut down a mosque and an Islamic organization linked to a terror attack in Vienna that left four victims dead earlier this week. A local intelligence official also resigned in response to the shooting. Advertisement Integration Minister Susanne Raab and Interior Minister Karl Nehammer announced they shuttered the Tewhid Mosque and the Melit Ibrahim Association. They did so after a meeting with Umit Vural, the president of the Islamic Faith Community in Austria. Raab said the attacker, Fujtim Fejzulai, frequented the two locations, neither of which held a "positive attitude toward society and the state," according to the country's so-called Islam Law. She said the decision to close the locations was not an attack on Islam. "The goal...
‘The devil arrived’: Christchurch mosque massacre sentencing continues

‘The devil arrived’: Christchurch mosque massacre sentencing continues

World
A New Zealand court has heard more harrowing stories of survival and loss from the Christchurch terror attacks. It's the second day of a hearing to sentence mass murderer Brenton Tarrant. The 29-year-old Australian admits shooting men, women and children while they prayed at two city mosques last year, killing 51 people.Tarrant has also pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of a further 40 worshippers, and a charge of terrorism. He's representing himself in court, flanked by heavy security.[embedded content] Mohammad Siddiqui was shot in the arm at Al Noor mosque, leaving him injured in hospital for eight days. He told the court he was only there a few minutes before "the devil arrived". ...
New Zealand creates armed police units in response to Christchurch mosque attacks

New Zealand creates armed police units in response to Christchurch mosque attacks

World
Oct. 18 (UPI) -- New Zealand's national police force announced Friday a pilot program to create "armed response teams" that are designed to minimize public threats -- a response to two mosque attacks in Christchurch last spring. Commissioner Mike Bush said the squads will have "enhanced tactical capabilities" and support regular police units in high-risk conflicts. They will be on 24-hour call for a trial period of six months. New Zealand police officers are not armed while on general duty, but store weapons in their vehicles in case of emergency. Because normal officers must seek permission to use the weapons, the new units offer a quicker response in threatening situations, Bush said. "The [NZP] mission is that New Zealand is the safest country," he added." Following the events of Marc...
Facebook to ban white nationalism after mosque attacks

Facebook to ban white nationalism after mosque attacks

Technology
By Sharon Marris, news reporter Facebook has vowed to ban praise, support and representations of white nationalism and white separatism.In a blog post called Standing Against Hate, Facebook said the ban would come into force next week and would also apply to Instagram. The move comes almost two weeks after a white nationalist killed 50 people in two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.The terrorist, an Australian, live-streamed his attack on Facebook and the world's largest social media platform was among those criticised for being slow to take the footage down.Facebook and other social media websites have also long been under pressure to do more about hate, fake news and abusive posts. ...