News That Matters

Tag: zero

Majority of UK import tariffs set at zero in a no-deal Brexit

Majority of UK import tariffs set at zero in a no-deal Brexit

Business
By Ed Conway, economics editor Britain would slash tariffs on the vast majority of goods entering the country in a no-deal scenario, the government has confirmed.Ministers announced that 87% of all goods entering the country would face zero tariffs, with import taxes remaining for only 13% of incoming goods. Sky News reported last week that the scale of the tariff line reduction would be 80-90%. No-deal Brexit tariff cuts face criticism The plan, which would represent a significant liberalisation of UK trade barriers compared...
Brexit: Could the UK drop tariffs to zero?

Brexit: Could the UK drop tariffs to zero?

Business
MPs are set to hold key votes next week on the terms of Brexit, the outcome of which could determine whether the UK has greater flexibility to set its own trade tariffs.A second "meaningful vote" on the Brexit agreement negotiated by Prime Minister Theresa May is due to take place on Tuesday.However, if no agreement can be reached, and the UK ultimately leaves the European Union on 29 March with no deal in place, reports last week suggested the UK government might cut trade tariffs on between 80% and 90% of goods, with some tariffs being scrapped completely.Business Secretary Greg Clark told the BBC that new tariff schedules would be published only after next week's vote on Mrs May's Brexit agreement, if it became clear the UK would be leaving the EU with...
Here's why getting exactly zero back from the IRS might be a good thing

Here's why getting exactly zero back from the IRS might be a good thing

Finance
Forget about that gigantic refund: What you really want from the IRS is a tax balance of exactly zero and no big check. That's because hitting zero with the taxman — that is, neither owing a balance nor receiving a refund — is an indication that you paid exactly the amount of tax liability you owed. A select group of taxpayers managed to hit that goal during the 2016 tax year, according to SmartAsset's analysis of IRS data. Montana happens to be home to the greatest number of filers who owed nothing and received nothing in return from the ...

I Found 5 Solid Income Stocks With Zero Debt

Finance
[unable to retrieve full-text content]A buddy of mine once got a bit of a shocker a few days before his wedding when his soon to be bride confided that she owed 40 000 or so in unpaid student loans Fortunately it wasn t a deal breaker and they are still happily married But it took years to dig out from that deep Latest Articles in
Manchester City 6-0 Shakhtar Donetsk: Raheem Sterling goes from zero to hero with wonder goal making up for penalty gaffe

Manchester City 6-0 Shakhtar Donetsk: Raheem Sterling goes from zero to hero with wonder goal making up for penalty gaffe

Sports
STERLING EFFORT The England international kicked the turf and won a contentious penalty for the Citizens before a wonderful solo goal Gabriel Jesus grabbed a hat-trick as Manchester City, aided by a farcical penalty decision, edged closer towards the Champions League last 16 by thrashing Shakhtar Donetsk 6-0. City were leading 1-0 through David Silva in the Group F encounter at the Etihad Stadium when Raheem Sterling stubbed his toe and fell over to earn a freak spot-kick which Jesus converted. Gabriel Jesus celebrates scoring his hat-trick Shakhtar had a right to feel aggrieved but they were otherwise outplayed for a second time in two weeks by City, who made victory certain through Sterling, Riyad Mahrez and two more Jesus strikes. It was a...