Eddie Hearn has said an exact date and venue for boxing’s most highly-anticipated fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will be confirmed by the end of next week.
The Matchroom promoter did not give too much away but confidently announced on Friday: “I think end of next week it will be done.”
Fury, the WBC and Ring Magazine heavyweight champion, has not fought since his dominant victory over Deontay Wilder in February 2020.
Hearn confirmed last month that contracts had been signed for a two-fight deal to take place this year.
Yet, there has been no confirmation on either the date or venue for the first meeting and it seems as though Saudi Arabia is the frontrunner.
However, the 41-year-old has excited boxing fans with his latest comments as the biggest fight in boxing draws ever closer.
“The world tour is going well but I’m not answering any questions on that and I won’t tell you where I’ve been,” he said.
“But talks have progressed extremely well and we’re closing in on securing the venue and there will be an announcement in due course. We’re at the stage where it’s probably best not to say much more than that.”
Fury is looking in brilliant condition ahead of the all-British encounter with Joshua.
And The Gypsy King showed off his trimmer physique in a post-training selfie with Irish welterweight Paddy Donovan on Friday.
Donovan shared a snap of himself and a bare-chested Fury to Instagram on Friday afternoon
His accompanying caption read: “Training today with the greatest man in the world @gypsyking101
“What a humble man. Everything that he has achieved he truly deserves it all because you couldn’t find a nicer person.
“I wish him all the best going forward and long may he continue to conquer the boxing world because when he’s gone everyone will realise just how good he really was.”
Fury also walked out with a cross as he celebrated the Easter Bank Holiday weekend on Good Friday.
John Fury also told Eddie Hearn to finalise Joshua vs Fury or stop talking about it altogether in a social media post on Friday.
In a ‘put up or shut up’ video message, Tyson’s father made it clear that he and his son have no fear of AJ and will welcome an undisputed title bout against him this summer.
Fury Sr said: “This is a video to Eddie Hearn and all these supporters of AJ.
“We’re not bothered about Anthony Joshua one iota and here’s what you can do.
“If he wants a fight in June, get it ready for June, Eddie. We’ll take him as a warm-up fight, him.
“We value Anthony Joshua that much we’ll take him as a warm-up fight in June.
“So get your a*** in gear, get everything that needs doing done and we’ll take him in June.
“Because Tyson is fighting twice this year, but we’d like AJ to be the first one on the butcher’s block.
“So get your a*** in gear mate, wave your magic wand and let’s get this fight started because nobody’s worried about you or AJ in any way, shape or form.
“And if you can’t put up, shut up – do that.”