talkSPORT.com brings you the latest news from the world of mixed martial arts…
Bones is back
Jon Jones will defend his light-heavyweight title against Dominick Reyes on February 8 2020 in Houston, Texas.
The UFC officially announced the two unbeaten fighters will headline at the Toyota Center and tickets for the event will go on sale December 13.
Jones (25-1) has fought twice in 2019 and has successfully defended his title against Thiago Santos and Anthony Smith, having beaten Alexander Gustafsson to win the vacant belt at UFC 232 at the end of last year, while Reyes is coming off the back of a first round knockout win over former middleweight holder Chris Weidman in October.
Dustin Poirier has called for a rematch with Conor McGregor and said the fight would make perfect sense.
The two faced-off back in September 2014, with McGregor winning via TKO in the first round and the latter’s opponent has yet to be announced for his return in 2020.
Poirier is currently sidelined after undergoing hip surgery following his loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov in September.
“I think it would make more sense if he’s (McGregor) trying to get back to the top,” Poirier said.
“I was the former interim world champion. Conor’s the former undisputed world champion. We fought years ago, we both had our separate paths and we’ve both done great things. I think this makes a lot of sense. I’m No. 2, I think he’s No. 3. It makes a lot of sense.
“I think the fans want to see it as well but time will tell. I definitely want that fight, and it’s something I want to do.”
Dana White is targeting April for the much anticipated bout between lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson.
White told ESPN that he wants the main event fight to take place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
The pair were scheduled to face each other four years ago, but Khabib pulled out with an injury in 2017 and Ferguson twice in 2016 and then 2018.
Khabib’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz said Ferguson is due an ‘ass-whipping.’
“Fifth time is the charm,” Abdelaziz said. “Tony has been asking for this ass-whipping for a long time, and he deserves it. He’s earned it. Khabib wanted this fight, Tony wanted it, the UFC wanted it and the fans wanted it. This fight is for the fans.”
Nick Diaz has revealed he will be fighting again soon with the news coming in bizarre circumstances.
Diaz has not fought since January of 2015 when he lost to Anderson Silva, but could be about to end his four-year hiatus from the Octagon.
The former world title challenger was asked to kick a social media personality in the groin and refused, before saying he had ‘big news.’
“That’s really not my thing. I don’t want to hurt people,” Diaz said as he refused the offer.
“I could, but also, I don’t want to hurt myself. I’ve got big news coming up. I’m about to be fighting again soon.”