Saturday, May 21News That Matters
Shadow

Tag: Bush

Navy opens probe after three suicides last week on USS George H.W. Bush

Navy opens probe after three suicides last week on USS George H.W. Bush

Business
Sept. 24 (UPI) -- Federal and local authorities are investigating four suicides on the USS George H.W. Bush, including three this week and one back in July. Hampton Roads authorities have joined federal law enforcement agents to probe the deaths by suicide of sailors assigned to the Norfolk, Va., based warship and aircraft carrier, the Navy Times reported. Two sailors died by suicide on the same day and rumors have circulated describing the deaths as part of an "epidemic," but authorities have not linked the deaths. "The sailors did not serve in the same departments, and there does not appear to be a connection between their deaths," Naval Air Force Atlantic spokeswoman Commander Jennifer Cragg said in a statement to the Navy Times. Local police began investigating after Machinist's Mat...
Species of bush tomato a reminder that gender, sexuality are fluid, scientists say

Species of bush tomato a reminder that gender, sexuality are fluid, scientists say

Science
June 18 (UPI) -- Scientists have finally given a unique bush tomato species, native to the remote Australian Outback, an official moniker. They named the plant Solanum plastisexum. The plant serves as a reminder, researchers claim, that gender and sexuality are frequently fluid in the plant and animal kingdom. The bush tomato species was first discovered by botanists in the 1970s, but it went unnamed due to the fluidity of its flower forms. At different times and during different surveys, the plants appeared to be female, male or bisexual. Some 85 percent of flowering plants produce bisexual flowers -- with both male and female parts. "So that's already quite different than what some people might expect; but the remaining 15 percent or so come in all sorts of forms that push the envelop...
George Bush Senior dies at the age of 94

George Bush Senior dies at the age of 94

World
Media playback is unsupported on your device Former US President George HW Bush has died at the age of 94, his son George W Bush has announced.Bush Sr served as the 41st US president between 1989 and 1993, his term defined by the end of the Cold War and the first Iraq war against Saddam Hussein. While his health had been failing in recent years, he still managed to make public appearances. The former president died at 22:10 local time on Friday (04:10 GMT Saturday), a family spokesperson said.In April, he was admitted to hospital with a blood infection but had since been discharged. Bush was also being treated for a form of Parkinson's disease.He died seven months after his wife, Barbara. "Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after ...
Famous birthdays for June 12: George H.W. Bush, Dave Franco

Famous birthdays for June 12: George H.W. Bush, Dave Franco

Entertainment
June 12 (UPI) -- Those born on this date are under the sign of Gemini. They include: -- John Augustus Roebling, designer of the Brooklyn Bridge, in 1806 -- Entrepreneur David Rockefeller in 1915 -- Cartoonist Dave Berg in 1920 -- Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush in 1924 (age 94) -- Singer Vic Damone in 1928 -- Anne Frank, whose diary told of hiding from the Nazis in occupied Holland, in 1929 File Photo by Ronald Wilfred Jansen/Shutterstock -- Actor/singer Jim Nabors in 1930 -- Author Rona Jaffe in 1931 -- Jazz musician Chick Corea in 1941 (age 77) -- Sportscaster Marv Albert in 1941 (age 77) -- Actor Timothy Busfield in 1957 (age 61) ...
USS George H.W. Bush carrier strike group completes Saxon Warrior exercise

USS George H.W. Bush carrier strike group completes Saxon Warrior exercise

Business
Aug. 11 (UPI) -- The USS George H.W. Bush carrier strike group has completed the multinational Saxon Warrior 2017 exercise off the coast of the Britain.Participating units from the U.S., U.K., Sweden, Germany and Norway engaged in a 10-day series of carrier strike group training drills involving multiple possible scenarios for future conflicts.It included the commander and staff of the British carrier strike group built around the country's new flagship, HMS Queen Elizabeth, which is currently conducting sea trials."Saxon Warrior was a perfect platform to test how far we've come because we started from scratch," Royal Navy Lt. Cmdr. James Capps said in a press release."We're trying to get in a position that when the Queen Elizabeth comes online, we can operate her as an embryonic carrier s...