Wednesday, June 29News That Matters
Shadow

Tag: order

Billie Eilish granted restraining order against alleged death-threat stalker

Billie Eilish granted restraining order against alleged death-threat stalker

Entertainment
Billie Eilish has been granted a temporary restraining order against an alleged stalker accused of sending her a letter containing a death threat.In court documents obtained by NBC News, the 19-year-old singer claims the man, John Hearle, 23, had camped outside a school across the street from her home in Los Angeles. Eilish said in her request for the order that Hearle would speak indiscernibly in a "low and disturbing voice" while watching her leaving and arriving at the house, and on one occasion made a "throat-slitting gesture", the news outlet reported. "I no longer feel safe going outside my home and enjoying basic physical exercise in my neighbourhood, as he could attempt to approach and hurt me," the multi-Grammy winner said in her statement. "Every time I see him I just want to...
TikTok asks court to intervene as Trump order looms

TikTok asks court to intervene as Trump order looms

Technology
The popular video-sharing app TikTok, its future in limbo since President Donald Trump tried to shut it down earlier this fall, is asking a federal court to interveneBy MATT O'BRIEN AP Technology WriterNovember 12, 2020, 12:07 AM• 2 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleThe popular video-sharing app TikTok, its future in limbo since President Donald Trump tried to shut it down earlier this fall, is asking a federal court to intervene.TikTok's Chinese owner, ByteDance, has until Thursday to sell off its U.S. operations under an executive order that Trump signed in August.Trump in September gave his tentative blessing to a ByteDance proposal meant to resolve U.S. national security concerns by placing TikTok under the oversight of American companies Oracle and Walmart, ea...
Trump to ‘sign executive order about social media’

Trump to ‘sign executive order about social media’

Technology
US President Donald Trump will sign an executive order targeting social media firms, the White House has said.It comes after he threatened to shut down social media platforms he accused of stifling conservative voices.The latest dispute emerged after Twitter added fact-check links to his tweets for the first time.The order's details have not been shared and it is unclear what regulatory steps the president can take without new laws passed by Congress.White House officials gave no further information on what is expected in the executive order which is set to be signed on Thursday.Before leaving Washington for Florida to watch a space launch that was postponed due to bad weather, Mr Trump again accused Twitter and other social media of bias, without offerin...
Officials order evacuations as Typhoon Ambo nears the Philippines

Officials order evacuations as Typhoon Ambo nears the Philippines

World
May 13 (UPI) -- As Typhoon Ambo continues to strengthen, AccuWeather meteorologists forecast that the Philippines will take a direct hit from the destructive tropical system. The powerful storm, also referred to as Vongfong by Japan Meteorological Agency, has been slowly approaching the eastern islands of the Philippines for days. In preparation of the storm, towns forecast to be in the path of the typhoon have began to issue evacuations and distribution of relief packages. A total of 515 families were evacuated from the towns of Maninila, Tandarora and Muladbucad Grande, all in the Albay area between the cities of Naga and Legazpi City. Given the continuation of the global COVID-19 pandemic, evacuees were required to wear face masks.Now with sustained winds of 80 mph, Ambo is equivalent...
Whitmer: Stay-home order still in place; some return to work

Whitmer: Stay-home order still in place; some return to work

Health
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says Michigan's stay-at-home order remains in effect despite Republicans’ refusal to extend her underlying coronavirus emergency declaration, as she amended it to allow construction, real estate and outdoor work to resume next weekBy DAVID EGGERT Associated PressMay 1, 2020, 10:10 PM4 min read4 min readShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this articleLANSING, Mich. -- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Friday that Michigan's stay-at-home order remains in effect through May 15 despite Republicans' refusal to extend her underlying coronavirus emergency declaration, as she amended it to allow construction, real estate and more outdoor work to resume in person next week. The Democratic governor, who may be sued by the GOP-led Legislature, addressed reporters the same day that ...